Our Children Are 100% Washable!
At Higher Openshaw Community School we firmly recognise the benefits of outdoor learning and the opportunities this can provide. In March 2016, after the children, staff and parents took part in a ‘clearing the site day’ we opened our very own ‘Forest School.’
We believe that our Forest School:
- Nurtures self-esteem
- Enhances children’s communication skills and ability to work as a team
- Equips children with love and respect for the outdoors
- Provides real life opportunities and creates independent learners
- Teaches resilience and risk taking
- Encourages a healthier approach to life
How does Forest School work at Higher Openshaw Community School?
Firstly risk assessments are always in place and regularly reviewed for all activities.
Ratio of staff to children is always carefully considered, including a qualified session leader.
- Every child gets to experience Forest School at least for one half term per academic year.
- We currently run 6 sessions over 2 days.
- We also run 2 therapeutic sessions a week.
- Our long term aim is to offer sessions in the holidays and family sessions at weekends.
If you’d like to know more about our Forest School, call in at the school office or speak to Mrs Mort.
Take a look a tour of our Forest School and have a look at some of the activities we do there in this short video.